Friday, January 31, 2014

Here Come the Children

We all come from somewhere
My mom is from Italians and Pollocks

And my father.... God only knows

Though I consider myself a New Yorker,
I have traveled this land so far and wide,
I could call a handful of states my home

And that is what I felt in Europe:

Barcelona - home

Madrid - home

Nice - home

Amsterdam - home

Milan - home

My mom woke up and gave me a play-by-play
of everything that was happening, on the treacherous hills
outside the dining room windows
and through our UN-privacied fence
'Here comes another truck. Oh my! How will they get up the hill? They should turn around,OH! What could they be thinking?....'

I saw a group of hillbilly children
dragging sleds around!?!?!?
1\4 of an inch of snow!
A economy car was stuck
on a 30° incline
for an hour and a half!!!!
Whaaa!?!?!?

It just ain't right

I don't mean hillbillies as an insult
I mean it as a matter of fact
Some of the most successful folk are hillfolk

Oh sure! It's probably enough for these kids
just to be out of school

When I was in SF I saw the children
carrying these 'kites' around
made from cereal boxes.
I thought: how precious and sad.
Today with the hillbilly children,
I felt that same emotion

Those kites weren't going anywhere
And neither were the sleds

A young girl, teenager, had a red camera
(probably just got it for Christmas).
She approaches this 'sledding event'
like a full page layout
in a major glossy publ.
Such innocence
make a person jealous

I was ashamed to even take
their picture
with my 50X Zoom
Cowered in the Man0r
like a shut-in

No comments:

Post a Comment